Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Follow Us on LinkedIn

Combined Federal Campaign #41814
United Way #8893
Federal EIN: 54-0899463

Need Help? Call

Text TEENHELP to 855-11

Our Hotline is answered 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, by trained counselors and volunteers.

Help Alternative House

News and Events

Read about the Alternative House, "A Place for Youth in Need," in the Vienna Connection. >>> Read More

Come to an Open Door Information Session and learn about issues facing homeless and at-risk youth, what Alternative House does to help, and how you can get involved. More info>>>


Residential Counselor, Full Time, Emergency Teen Shelter - more info>>>


Get Involved

Alternative House relies heavily on donations and volunteer support to meet the critial needs of at-risk children, youth and families. Please read on to learn how you can becomed involved with Alternative House and support our mission.

Donate Now

You can make a monetary contribution to The Alterative House by clicking here. You wil be redirected to Alternative House's page on, which handles credit card donations for us. You can make a one-time donation, but please consider making an automatic donation each month.

Other Ways to Donate

There are a variety of ways that an individual or organization can help Alternative House. For more information on other ways to assist us in our mission of helping at-risk youth, please see our Donation Page.

Donate Goods or Services

The Alternative House depends heavily on a wide variety of goods and services donated by individuals, companies, and organizations. See our current Wish List for items and services that we need.

We also often have need of household repair services - appliance repair, cleaning, HVAC repair, electrical work, plumbing repair. roofing. landscaping, etc. If you or your company could provide these services on an as-needed basis, please contact our Development Director, Jade Leedham, at 703.506.9191 or


Alernative House is always looking for dedicated volunteers for a wide variety of program and administrative tasks. Please look at our current list of volunteer opportunties that involve interacting with Alternative House participants to see the ways that you can become involved with Alternative House program. We strongly recommend that you come to one of our Open Door Tour events to learn more about Alternative House before filling out a volunteer application.

Alternative House always as a need for volunteers to help with special projects and tasks that don't involve working directly with program participants.


Alternative House works with students of accredited universities and colleges who are enrolled in programs that require an internship as part of the program. Undergraduate- and Master's-level internships are available. For Master's-level interns, supervision from a Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) is provided. On a limited basis, we may accept applications from high school internship programs.

For more information, please visit our Internship Page.

Working at Alternative House

Alternative House has a small paid staff. If you're interested in joining us, please see our list of current job openings.

Be An Advocate For Others – Get Involved – Make A Difference In Your Community

Alternative House is a member of the Fairfax-Falls Church Local Human Rights Committee (LHRC). The LHRC reviews complaints of rights violations filed by individuals receiving mental health, intellectual disability and substance abuse services. The LHRC also reviews policies and practices and makes recommendations regarding procedures that affect the rights of individuals. Meetings are held monthly in the Pennino Building in Fairfax. For more information or to volunteer to become a member of the LHRC, please call Erin Bloom at 703-324-7827.