Alternative House is currently recruiting for the positions(s) listed below. For information on how to apply for a job at Alternative House, please visit our Employment Application page.
Please note that all Alternative House employees must undergo one or more background checks, successfully pass a drug screening test, and possibly show evidence of a negative TB test conducted in the six months prior to being hired.
Alternative House is an equal opportunity employer.
Alternative House is seeking full-time Counselors to work at our Emergency Shelter for Teens in Vienna. Alternative House’s crisis shelter for teens offers a safe haven to young people in crisis. Teens who have run away, been turned out of their home, are homeless, abused, or otherwise in crisis may stay in the voluntary program for up to three weeks at a time. In addition to safe shelter, food and clothing, each teen receives intensive individual, group, and family counseling as well as help keeping up with their education.
- Coach and supervise residents
- Conduct individual counseling sessions and life skills workshops
- Provide case management
- Thoroughly document resident files
- Maintain a safe, secure, and healthy living environment
- Answer crisis hotline calls
- Must have a bachelor’s degree – preferably in psychology, human services counseling, or related field required
- Prior experience with teens is preferred
- Ability to speak Spanish is preferred
- Ideal candidate is a self-starter, high energy, well-organized, multi-tasker
- Must be willing to undergo a background investigation prior to employment
- Be willing to be certified in CPR, First Aid, Medication Administration and Managing Aggressive Behavior training.
Salary: $14 per hour
Schedule includes some evenings and weekends
Benefits include: health, dental, long-term disability, and life insurance, and paid time off.
Supervision is available for an applicant that is completing a counseling residency for licensure as a professional counselor.
Send resume and cover letter to:
ATTN: Shelter Counselor
PO Box 694, Dunn Loring, VA 22027
Fax to (703) 506-8949