Thank you for your interest in becoming an Alternative House volunteer or intern.
You can fill out and submit your application to volunteer or intern at Alternative House online. Before you begin, please be sure to have the following information ready, as you will need to complete the entire application in one session; there is no provision to save your application as a draft and return to it later.
- The names, phone numbers, and email addresses of three references;
- The name, phone number and email address of the person we should contact in case of an emergency;
- The days and times when you will be available to volunteer;
- The name of the Alternative House program that is your first choice for volunteering or interning; and,
- For internships - the number of hours you will need and the semester in which you wil need them, the level and type of supervison that you will require, and your learning objectives for the internship.
- For interns, be sure to view the Internship Information Page before submitting your online volunteer/application. In addition to the online application, you must also email your resume to Susie_Guido@TheAlternativehouse.org.
Please be aware that if you are accepted as an Alternative House volunteer or intern and your volunteer or intern position involves interacting with Alternative House clients, you will need to undergo a background investigation. There is a $50 fee for volunteers at the Emergency Shelter for Teens and a $40 fee for volunteers to all other programs. Fees are $43 for undergraduate interns and $46 for graduate interns.
When you submit the volunteer/intern application electronically, you will receive an email copy of your application.
All set? To begin the application, just click on the button below:
If you'd prefer, you can to print out the application form and mail it to Alternative House at: The Alternative House, PO Box 694, Dunn Loring, VA 22027.