Volunteer Application Process
We strongly encourage all prospective volunteers to come to an Open Door Information Session (click for schedule) so that you can learn about our programs and have a chance to ask any questions that you may have.
Alternative House thoroughly evaluates all potential volunteers who will have direct contact with the youth or young mothers who participate in our programs. Because we work with at-risk youth populations, our application process for on-going volunteers takes time, due mainly to the time needed for obtaining the results of the required background investigation. On average, our application process for on-going volunteer opportunities takes six weeks.
Note that special project or event volunteers normally don't interact with program participants. Generally, there is no formal application process or background check for such volunteers. To volunteer for special projects or events, just call Christine Bartell, Resource Manager, at 703.506.9191 or email her a Christine_Bartell@TheAlternativeHouse.org.
The steps in the volunteer application process are:
- Attend an Open Door Information Session. These are held monthly. Please call Christine Bartell, Resource Manager, at 703.506.9191 or email her at Christine_Bartell@TheAlternativeHouse.org, as space is limited.
- Submit a completed Volunteer Application or Youth Advisory Council Application.
- Alternative House will contact your references.
- You will be asked to interview with the Program Director for the program for which you will be volunteering.
- You will be asked to come in to complete additional paperwork which includes the forms for two background investigations. There is a $50 fee for volunteers at the Emergency Shelter for Teens and a $40 fee for volunteers to all other programs. Fees are $43 for undergraduate interns and $46 for graduate interns. You will need to provide proof of a negative TB screening performed within the last 6 months.
For Shelter volunteers, there are two additional training sessions which are held quarterly. Both must be completed prior to beginning your volunteer work.
For questions or more information, call our Resource Manager, Christine Bartell, at 703.506.9191 or by email to admin@TheAlternativeHouse.org.